National Puppy Day is Tuesday, March 23rd and DBL is celebrating puppies by recognizing some of our AMAZING Puppy Raisers! Ingraining the all-important “first experiences” for our future Assistance Dogs, our Puppy Raisers are integral to what we do.
1. Why did you choose to become a Puppy Raiser? Supporting people through animals seemed like a natural fit for me to support my community. Plus, ever since I saw my first working dog, I’ve always been fascinated by them and knew I wanted to be somehow involved with them.
2. What is the biggest challenge? Having never raised a puppy, we both had a big learning curve. But we learned together and out DBL trainer made sure we were set up for success.
3. What is the greatest reward? I love watching my pup confidently stride through any situation and seeing people’s faces light up when we’re in public working on his skills. And, of course, puppy kisses.
4. What kind of experience did you have before becoming a Puppy Raiser? I volunteered at an animal shelter socializing feral kittens and cats.
5. Why did you choose to raise a puppy through DBL? I connect deeply with their mission. Dogs truly do make for better lives.
DBL is just as committed to our Puppy Raisers as they are to our organization, and together we create a community dedicated to helping others. As we continue to grow as an organization, so does the need for Puppy Raisers. The more dogs we rescue or puppies that are raised, the more people we can serve.
Find out more about becoming a Puppy Raiser and other ways to get involved with DBL here.